SEO is a process & a set of methods by which businesses online can market themselves by increasing their visibility on search engines.
So for example lets say you were in the sofa business. You would want to market yourself using the following keywords: Sofa, couch, chesterfield, chaise longue, convertible couch, davenport, daybed, divan, futon, love seat, ottoman, settee, sofa bed, window seat, furniture, furnishing, decor, etc.
Then what you need to do is place those keywords on various websites (the more on topic the better) with a link going back to your sofa business.
You will likely want to seek out the advice of a professional who deals with SEO daily because they will know all the White Hat tricks of the trade. Avoid using Black Hat techniques like link spamming and link farming.
It will take awhile to take effect, but the end result will eventually be a high search ranking in popular search engines like Google. So for example if you type in Bicycle Mechanic Toronto one of the top listings will be The Bicycle Mechanic blog, which operates out of Toronto.
20 SEO TIPS
- Include Text Links with your images
- Multiple domains or sub-domains for specific topics
- Exchange articles/links with colleagues
- Include titles on your links (time consuming but it helps a little)
- Use a variety of link anchor text
- Include a sitemap on your website
- Don't use Black Hat techniques or you will get banned by search engines
- Social bookmarking helps
- The more links the better
- The more on topic the pages are linking to you the better
- The higher the linking pages' PageRank the better
- Keep track of your progress by periodically checking your keywords once/week
- Track your PageRank
- Get listed in Search Directories & Business Directories
- Keep making more content
- Remember to update old content
- Update your website regularly with more recent info
- Avoid pushy SEO salespeople (they're sham artists)
20. Lastly, SEO is an ongoing process. You have to keep working on it to stay ahead of the competition.